How do I get married in the City of Danbury?

Requirements to Obtain a License in Connecticut

A marriage license is required by the Marriage Laws of the State of Connecticut. You must apply in the Town where the ceremony will be performed. No appointment is necessary to apply for a marriage license. Marriage licenses are issued between 9 am to 5 pm. Monday through Thursday. No appointment is necessary.

  • The online marriage license must be completed prior to coming into the Town Clerk's Office to obtain your license. Both parties must appear together in person to complete the marriage license application.
  • You must bring a valid government-issued photo ID (i.e. Driver's License or Passport)
  • The license will only be valid for 65 days from the date the license is issued. No exception is allowed. If the license is not used in this time period, you MUST begin the process over and reapply. You can only apply in the town where the marriage is taking place.

Age Requirements

Applicants 18 years of age or over do not require parental consent to marry in Connecticut.

Under 18 Years of Age

A 16 or 17-year-old may obtain a marriage license only if the probate court where the minor resides approves a petition filed on the minor's behalf by his or her parent or guardian.

Exact Name

A full legal name is required, using your legal name at the time of the application. No abbreviations, nicknames, or initials. The information for the marriage license should appear as it does on your birth certificate, unless you changed your name legally in a previous marriage then that is your legal name unless your divorce decree reverses it, or you had a court-ordered name change.


The fee for a marriage license is $50 payable by cash or check. An additional $20 will be charged for a certified copy of your marriage certificate which will be mailed to you once your license is returned to our office by the officiant after the ceremony is performed. Additional certified copies can be requested for a $20 per copy fee.

Civil Ceremony

For couples choosing to have a Justice of the Peace perform their ceremony, you may contact a Justice of the Peace from the list provided to make arrangements. The Town Clerk does not perform marriage ceremonies.

Connecticut Residents Marrying in Another State

Not all states have the same requirements. Contact the state in which the marriage ceremony is being performed.

Show All Answers

1. How can I obtain a copy of a land record?
2. How do I obtain a copy of a birth, marriage or death certificate?
3. How do I get married in the City of Danbury?
4. How do I obtain a copy of my divorce papers?
5. Where do I obtain a hunting and / or fishing license?
6. How do I obtain a dog license?
7. How do I obtain or terminate a trade name certificate?