Planning & Zoning
Pursuant to Governor Lamont's Executive Order Number 7I, Section 19.i, an appeal of a decision by a Zoning Enforcement Officer or an agent of the Environmental Impact Commission may be commenced by regular mail addressed to the appropriate commission, board or officer or email Mary Larkin.
The mission of the Department of Planning and Zoning is to protect and improve Danbury's neighborhoods, business centers, community resources and our natural environment while planning for sustainable development that will enhance the quality of life for all our residents. To that end, the Department has been instrumental in the preparation of plans, projects and land use regulations for the City. Citywide plans have included the Plan of Conservation and Development, Transportation Plan, the Parks and Recreation Plan, and the Downtown Danbury Transit-Oriented Development Study. Major projects have included downtown redevelopment, various streetscape improvements, the creation of the Ives Trail concept, restoration of Elmwood Park, and construction of the 9/11 Memorial, rehabilitation planning of the historic Octagon House, Heritage Plaza at City Hall, and Memorial Park. Professional and clerical staff provides support services to the Planning and Zoning Commissions and the Redevelopment Agency, while clerical support is provided to the Environmental Impact Commission and the Zoning Board of Appeals.
A primary task of the Department is the enactment and enforcement of zoning and subdivision regulations designed to ensure that proposed developments are constructed in accordance with the Plan of Conservation and Development. The Department reviews site plans and assists the Planning Commission in the review of special exception and subdivision applications. The Department advises the Zoning Commission on all proposals for zoning amendments and the rezoning of land. Our Department also assists with referrals from City Council for requests for extensions of sewer and water service, dedication of roads, and offers to buy, sell or lease City land. The Department prepares the annual Capital Improvement Program to schedule major capital expenditures over time, reviews all applications under the Deferral of Assessment Increases program, and updates and corrects street addresses in the City.
The Planning Director serves as Executive Director of the Danbury Redevelopment Agency. Departmental responsibilities for downtown redevelopment have included the recruitment of new businesses, the coordination of streetscape improvements on Main and White Streets, construction of the Patriot Garage, creation of the Danbury Green, design of Palace Walk, preparation of the downtown revitalization plan, Downtown Danbury: Issues and Recommendations, and directing preparation of the Downtown Danbury TOD Study. The Planning Director advises the Main Street Partnership and also serves as a member of the Office of Project Excellence Steering Committee, Danbury Housing Partnership, and as an ex-officio member of the CityCenter Danbury Board of Directors.
- Planning & Zoning retained consultant to prepare statutorily required Affordable Housing Plan and managed Plan Committee and document preparation to ensure Plan completion by June 1, 2022.
- Continued to implement recommendations of the Downtown Danbury Transit-Oriented Development Study including refinement of design of the Downtown Riverwalk along Lee Hartell Drive.
- Managed 2023 Plan of Conservation and Development Oversight Committee, public engagement process, and preparation of the Plan.
- Prepared DEEP Recreational Trails Grant application to capitalize on funding opportunities for a City project.
- Continue work on the 2023 Plan of Conservation and Development as required by State statutes. Initiate implementation of recommendations as appropriate.
- Coordinate completion of Phase 2 bid documents for the Downtown Danbury Streetscape Renaissance project in conjunction with the Department of Public Works.
- Continue planning and design of the historic Hearthstone Castle; Work with appropriate agencies and funding sources to ensure the rehabilitation of the Octagon House.
- Continue to provide recommendations to land use commissions on regulatory changes to address new statutory mandates, improve customer service, create opportunities for balanced growth, and protect sensitive resources.
City of Danbury Zoning Regulations
Online Subdivision Regulations Disclaimer: The web version of the City of Danbury, Connecticut Subdivision Regulations is provided for reference and the convenience of having the Regulations in a computer-readable format. The print version of the Subdivision Regulations, together with any amendments adopted by the Planning Commission, remains the official version of the Regulations. If any discrepancies exist between the print and web versions of the Subdivision Regulations, the print version, together with any Planning Commission amendments, shall be considered correct.
View the Subdivision Regulations (PDF).
Aquifer Protection Area Regulations
Online Aquifer Protection Area Regulations Disclaimer: The web version of the City of Danbury, Connecticut Aquifer Protection Area Regulations is provided for reference and the convenience of having the Regulations in a computer-readable format. The print version of the Aquifer Protection Area Regulations, together with any amendments adopted by the Planning Commission, remains the official version of the Regulations. If any discrepancies exist between the print and web versions of the Aquifer Protection Area Regulations, the print version, together with any Planning Commission amendments, shall be considered correct. Continue to City of Danbury Aquifer Protection Area Regulations (PDF).
- City of Danbury Registration Form for Regulated Activities in the Lake Kenosia Aquifer Protection Area (PDF)
- Determining Regulatory Status Form in the City of Danbury Lake Kenosia Aquifer Protection Area (PDF)
- Instructions for Completing the City of Danbury Registration Form for Regulated Activities in the Lake Kenosia Aquifer Protection Area (PDF)
- Instructions for Developing a Stormwater Management Plan for Regulated Activities in the City of Danbury (PDF)
- Model Form for Developing a Materials Management Plan for Regulated Activities in Aquifer Protection Areas (PDF)